Lixouri is the second largest town on Kefalonia and the main town of the Pali peninsula. It lies opposite the island capital of Argostoli and is reached either by ferry across the bay or by road down the peninsula, about 30km from the capital. Off the tourist trail, the Pali peninsula has lots of sheep and goats, vineyards, orchards and market gardens.
Lixouri town was destroyed in the 1953 earthquake when only five buildings remained standing. It has been rebuilt in comfortless concrete with several large squares and some wide characterless streets.
Competition with Argostoli is strong after the latter was crowned capital of Kefalonia, much to the dismay of Lixouri inhabitants who sneer at their neighbours across the bay, an attitude echoed by Argostoli natives.
One buildings that survived the earthquake is the Tipaldon Mansion, now Lixouri's public museum and library ,with ornate rooms and a large collection of books, manuscripts and icons. There are many churches in Lixouri, the most notable being the Church of Panagia ton Perligadon, which hosts a major festival in August with fireworks and feasting.
Lixouri has a few small beach strips of shingle along the coast to the north. About 2 km south is the sandy beach of Lepeda and the Agia Paraskevi monastery nearby.
Further south of Lixouri is the fishing village of Mihalitsata and traditional villages at Soulari and Mantzavinata, before the noted beach of Xi, known for its red sand and clay cliffs.