If you’re planning a holiday to the beautiful Greek island of Kos, August is an excellent time to visit. During this month, you can expect hot and sunny weather, perfect for beach days and outdoor activities. Kos is known for its stunning landscapes and rich history, with fascinating archaeological sites and charming villages to explore. High temperatures average around 29°C (84°F) in August, making it a great time to enjoy the sun and sea on one of the island’s many beaches.
August is also the peak season for tourists due to the favourable weather conditions. With around 10 hours of sunshine each day, there is plenty of time to explore the island and its many attractions. The sea temperature is about 26°C (79°F) in August, providing comfortable conditions for swimming and water sports. Rainfall is minimal during this month, averaging just 5 mm, and there are only about 3 rainfall days. Thus, you can expect clear, sunny days throughout your stay.
However, do keep in mind that the humidity level is around 66% during August in Kos. It’s essential to prepare yourself with light, breathable clothing and plenty of sunscreen to protect your skin. And remember to stay well-hydrated as you enjoy all the island has to offer. With its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and warm, sunny August weather, Kos is the perfect destination to spend your summer holiday.
General Weather in August
August is the warmest month on the island of Kos, located in Southern Aegean, Greece. During this month, the average high temperature reaches 28.5°C (83.3°F), while the average low temperature settles at 25°C (77°F) ^. With these temperatures, visitors to the island can expect a pleasant and warm climate throughout August.
When it comes to rainfall, August is generally a dry month on the island of Kos. There is typically very little rainfall, averaging around 5 mm for the entire month. The number of rainy days in August is limited to just around three days, which means tourists can enjoy most of their vacation under the sun without being interrupted by rain.
The weather in August provides an ideal environment for travellers to explore the beautiful island of Kos, with its warm days and limited rainfall.
Factors Affecting Weather
The Meltemi winds play a significant role in shaping the weather in Kos during August. These seasonal, strong, and dry northwesterly winds provide a cooling effect on the island, delivering a pleasant respite from the intense summer heat. Although the Meltemi winds can reach speeds of up to 40 knots, they generally remain manageable and make outdoor activities, such as beachside relaxation and water sports, more enjoyable for visitors.
In August, the sea temperature around Kos contributes to the overall weather experience on the island. The average sea temperature during this month is around 24°C, which is considered warm and perfect for swimming and other water activities. The warm sea also helps to maintain a comfortable air temperature during day and night, with balmy evenings, ensuring a delightful summer holiday for tourists.
In summary, when visiting Kos in August, expect hot daily temperatures averaging around 27°C and minimal rainfall. The weather is significantly influenced by the Meltemi winds and warm sea temperatures, providing a pleasant atmosphere for outdoor activities and water sports. Visitors should pack light and cool clothes to enjoy their time on the island to the fullest.
Sunrise and Sunset Times
In August, visitors to Kos can expect long days with plenty of sunlight. Sunrise typically occurs around 6:30am, while sunset happens around 8:30pm. This provides ample opportunity to enjoy the beautiful beaches and outdoor activities the island has to offer.
During August, the average humidity in Kos is around 60% to 70%. While this may seem like a high humidity for some, the island’s coastal location and the refreshing sea breeze help to keep the air pleasant and comfortable.
In conclusion, August is an excellent month to visit Kos, Greece. With its welcoming weather conditions, it’s the perfect time to enjoy all the island has to offer.
Preparing for Your Trip
Packing for a trip to Kos in August should focus on staying cool, as it is one of the hottest months of the year. With highs regularly around 89.6°F (32°C) and very minimal rain, it’s essential to bring lightweight, breathable clothing. Here are some suggestions:
- Lightweight clothing: Pack short-sleeved shirts, shorts, and comfortable dresses made from breathable fabrics like cotton or linen.
- Swimwear: Don’t forget your swimsuits for enjoying Kos’s beautiful beaches and any hotel swimming pools.
- Sun protection: Pack sunglasses, a wide-brimmed hat, and plenty of sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from the sun.
- Footwear: Bring comfortable sandals for exploring during the day and a pair of shoes suitable for evenings or more formal occasions.
Despite the heat, there are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy while visiting Kos in August. Staying hydrated and wearing appropriate sun protection is crucial. Here are some popular outdoor activities:
- Beaches: Enjoy a day at the beautiful beaches of Kos. With crystal-clear waters and fine sand, it’s the perfect way to spend a hot summer day.
- Cycling: Kos is known for its cycle-friendly roads, with many towns offering bike rentals for visitors. A leisurely ride through the countryside is a great way to explore the island’s natural beauty.
- Hiking: While daytime hikes can become quite hot, early morning or late afternoon walks offer cooler temperatures. A hike to the picturesque ruins of the ancient Asklepion is a must-see for history enthusiasts.
- Water sports: Embark on snorkelling, diving, jet-skiing, or windsurfing adventures along Kos’s coastlines, taking advantage to cool off in the water during the heat of the day.
Born and raised on the sun-drenched island of Crete, Sofia Mavromatis is a seasoned traveler and writer with a deep-rooted love for Greece’s vibrant culture, stunning landscapes, and rich history.