Dassia Beach, located on the stunning east coast of Corfu, Greece, offers visitors a picturesque setting for a perfect holiday. Boasting beautiful views and clear waters, this enchanting destination has become a popular choice for both locals and tourists alike. With a shoreline that stretches approximately 200 metres in length and 15 metres in width, Dassia Beach invites sun-seekers to unwind and take in the breathtaking vistas of snow-capped mountains across in Albania.
Composed of pebbles rather than sand, Dassia Beach has been awarded the prestigious Blue Flag for cleanliness. The calm waters are ideal for various watersports and provide excellent conditions for water skiing. Visitors can also rent sunbeds and umbrellas to relax comfortably on the beach.
Apart from its natural charm, Dassia Beach features a mix of accommodation options, including the luxurious Ikos Dassia resort hotel to the south. The northern half of the beach offers a narrower, more pebbly shoreline, catering to different preferences. With its clean, accessible beach and serene atmosphere, Dassia Beach is an essential stop for anyone travelling to Corfu.
Dassia Beach Location
Dassia Beach is situated on the east coast of Corfu, a beautiful Greek island in the Ionian Sea. Located north of Corfu Town and Gouvia, but before Ipsos, it’s approximately 14km away from the island’s capital. The beach is a mix of coarse dark sand and shingle, and offers stunning views of the Corfu coast and Albania.
How to Get There
Dassia Beach is easily accessible from various parts of Corfu. If you’re coming from the island’s capital, Corfu Town, it’s just under a 30-minute drive away. Several public bus services are available to take you directly to Dassia beach, or you can opt for a taxi or car rental. If you’re staying in nearby resorts like Gouvia or Ipsos, Dassia Beach is just a short drive away.
While visiting Dassia Beach, you’ll find a variety of attractions in the surrounding area, making the beach an excellent base for exploring other parts of Corfu. Some nearby attractions include:
- Ikos Dassia Resort: This luxurious resort hotel occupies the southern half of Dassia and offers premium facilities for visitors.
- Grecotel Daphnila Bay: Another luxurious hotel, recommended for family vacations and those seeking a bit of luxury near the beach, with amazing views of the sea, dining facilities, a wine bar, and a charming swimming pool area.
- Corfu Town: The charming capital of the island is worth a visit for its historical sites, bustling markets, and picturesque alleyways.
- Gouvia and Ipsos: These two nearby resort towns boast lively atmospheres, with various bars, restaurants, and shops.
Dassia Beach, located on the east coast of Corfu, offers a variety of hotel options for visitors. Some of the best beach hotels in the area, based on traveller reviews, are the following:
- Saint Nicholas Beach Resort: A luxurious resort just 1,250 feet from the beach, providing exceptional comfort and facilities.
- Dassia Beach Hotel: Located directly on the waterfront, this hotel is renowned for their hospitality and beautiful views.
You can also find several other hotels within the vicinity that cater to different budgets and preferences.
For a more exclusive and personalised stay, various private villas are available for rent near Dassia Beach. These villas often provide greater privacy and flexibility compared to hotels. Common amenities include private pools, garden space, and independent living areas, allowing visitors to enjoy the comforts of home while on holiday. Some popular villa rental websites include:
- Owner’s Direct
By searching through these platforms, you can easily find villas in Dassia to suit your needs and preferences.
If you prefer self-catering accommodation and more independence during your stay, apartments in Dassia are a great option. Apartments typically offer a lower cost alternative to hotels and include amenities such as kitchens, living areas, and private bedrooms. This allows visitors to prepare their meals and enjoy a more relaxed pace of life during their visit to Dassia Beach.
Similar to villas, you can find apartment rentals on websites like Airbnb and Booking.com. With a range of sizes and prices, there are options to suit various group sizes and budgets.
Beach Activities and Facilities
Dassia Beach, located on the island of Corfu, offers a wide range of activities and facilities for tourists who want to relax and have an enjoyable time. This guide will focus on water sports, sunbeds, and umbrellas available at the beach.
At Dassia Beach, you can find various water sports to cater to different preferences and adrenaline levels. Dassia Ski Club Watersports offers a wide range of exciting activities, including:
- Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP)
- Boat hire
Apart from these, Dassia Beach also provides facilities for water skiing, scuba-diving, and paragliding, ensuring that thrill-seekers and water enthusiasts will have a good time.
Sunbeds and Umbrellas
Dassia Beach offers a comfortable experience for visitors who want to relax under the sun. The beach is lined with trees that provide some shade, along with sunbeds and umbrellas available for a more enjoyable time by the water. This beach setup allows visitors to lie back and soak up the sun, or take a break from the heat in the cool shade.
In conclusion, Dassia Beach is the perfect destination for those looking to indulge in various beach activities and take advantage of the available facilities such as water sports, sunbeds, and umbrellas. The pleasant environment and diverse offerings ensure a delightful experience for every visitor.
Dining and Nightlife
Dassia offers a fantastic selection of local and international cuisine. You will find many tavernas and restaurants dotted around the area, some of which serve traditional Greek dishes such as Souvlaki, Moussaka, and fresh seafood. These eateries offer a beautiful setting to enjoy authentic Mediterranean flavours while enjoying the views of the beach and sea.
It is worth trying the local Corfiot dishes as well, like Pastitsada (a pasta and beef dish in tomato sauce) and Bourdeto (a spicy fish stew). Fresh produce, local ingredients, and traditional cooking methods make for a delightful dining experience.
Bars and Clubs
Dassia is home to a lively night scene, with various bars, clubs, and live music venues to choose from. Dance the night away at one of the local clubs or sing your heart out at a karaoke bar. There are also more laid-back options, such as beach bars and chill-out lounges where you can enjoy a cocktail by the sea.
Traditional Greek nights with dancing and music are also quite popular, offering a unique and authentic experience for visitors. With an array of options available, there’s something for everyone in Dassia when it comes to nightlife.
Safety Tips and Local Etiquette
Dassia Beach, located on Corfu Island, is a family-friendly destination with calm and shallow waters for bathing. However, it’s essential to take a few safety measures while visiting:
- Swimming: While the water is generally calm, always monitor the weather conditions and follow any posted warnings or lifeguard instructions.
- Watersports: The beach offers various watersports activities such as water skiing, scuba-diving, paragliding, and boat hire. Ensure you participate in these activities through reputable operators and follow all safety guidelines.
- Sun protection: Make sure to apply sunscreen and wear a hat to protect yourself from the sun. Don’t forget to hydrate by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
Respecting the Environment
Dassia Beach’s pristine environment is one of its biggest attractions. To preserve the beauty of the beach and its surroundings, practise responsible tourism by following these guidelines:
- Littering: As mentioned in some reviews, litter has been a concern on the beach. Dispose of your rubbish responsibly, using the bins provided or taking your waste with you when you leave.
- Preserving natural habitats: Refrain from picking flowers, damaging plants, or disturbing wildlife habitats while exploring the beach and its surroundings.
- Sustainable activities: Engage in eco-friendly activities, like walking or cycling to explore the area. If renting equipment for watersports, choose a provider with sustainable practices.
By adhering to these safety tips and local etiquette guidelines, you can enjoy an enjoyable and environmentally conscious visit to Dassia Beach.
Eleni Vasiliadis, a native of the picturesque island of Corfu and co-founder of Greek Island, is a seasoned traveller, accomplished writer, and passionate advocate for Greek culture and cuisine.