Sidari is a beautiful coastal town located in the northern part of Corfu, Greece. It is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and vibrant nightlife. However, the weather can be unpredictable, and it is not uncommon for visitors to experience rain during their stay. But don’t let the rain dampen your spirits, as there are still plenty of things to do in Sidari even when it’s raining.
One of the best things to do in Sidari on a rainy day is to explore the town’s indoor attractions. There are several museums, galleries, and historical sites that are perfect for a rainy day visit. The Corfu Shell Museum, for example, is a fascinating museum that showcases an impressive collection of shells from around the world. The Folklore Museum of Acharavi is another great option, which displays traditional costumes, tools, and artifacts from the island’s past.
If you find yourself in Sidari on a rainy day, don’t worry! There are plenty of indoor activities to keep you entertained. Here are some of the best things to do indoors in Sidari:
Visit the Sidari Water Park
The Sidari Water Park is the perfect place to spend a rainy day. It’s an indoor water park with a range of slides and pools to suit all ages. There’s also a restaurant and bar on-site, so you can grab a bite to eat or a drink while you’re there.
Explore the Sidari Folklore Museum
The Sidari Folklore Museum is a great place to learn about the history and culture of the area. It’s housed in a traditional Corfiot house and features exhibits on local customs, traditions, and crafts. The museum is open daily, and admission is free.
Play a Game of Bowling
Head to the Sidari Bowling Centre for a fun game of ten-pin bowling. It’s a great activity for families, friends, or couples. The centre also has a bar and restaurant, so you can make a day of it.
Watch a Movie at the Cinema
The Sidari Cinema is a great place to catch the latest films. It’s a small cinema with a friendly atmosphere, and the ticket prices are very reasonable. The cinema is open daily, and there are usually several films showing each day.
Have a Spa Day
If you’re looking for a more relaxing activity, why not treat yourself to a spa day? There are several spas in Sidari that offer a range of treatments, including massages, facials, and body wraps. It’s the perfect way to unwind and pamper yourself on a rainy day.
Overall, there are plenty of indoor activities to keep you entertained in Sidari on a rainy day. Whether you want to have fun, learn something new, or relax, there’s something for everyone.
Museums and Galleries
Sidari has a rich cultural heritage, and there are some museums and galleries in the area that are well worth a visit. Here are a few recommendations for things to do in Sidari in the rain:
- Corfu Museum of Asian Art – This museum is located in the historic Palace of St. Michael and St. George in Corfu Town, which is about an hour’s drive from Sidari. The museum houses a collection of over 15,000 works of art from Asia, including China, Japan, India, and Southeast Asia. The exhibits include paintings, sculptures, ceramics, textiles, and more.
- Archaeological Museum of Corfu – Another museum in Corfu Town, the Archaeological Museum is home to a collection of artifacts from ancient Greece, including sculptures, pottery, and coins. The museum is housed in a 19th-century building that was once the residence of the British High Commissioner.
- Kapodistrias Museum – This museum is located in the village of Evropouloi, about 30 minutes drive from Sidari. It is dedicated to the life and work of Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of Greece after the country gained independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1821. The museum is housed in Kapodistrias’ family home, which has been preserved as a museum since the 1930s.
- Corfu Museum of Palaiopolis – This museum is located in the village of Palaiopolis, about an hour’s drive from Sidari. It is dedicated to the ancient city of Corfu, which was located in this area in antiquity. The museum houses a collection of artifacts from the city, including pottery, coins, and sculptures.
Visiting museums and galleries is a great way to spend a rainy day in Sidari. You can learn about the area’s history and culture while staying dry indoors.
Local Food and Drinks
Sidari offers a variety of delicious local food and drinks that are perfect for rainy days. Here are some of the must-try options:
- Sofrito: This is a traditional Corfiot dish made with beef, garlic, vinegar, and parsley. It’s usually served with rice or mashed potatoes and is a perfect comfort food for a rainy day.
- Pastitsada: Another traditional dish, this one is made with beef or chicken in a tomato-based sauce with cinnamon and cloves. It’s usually served with pasta and is a hearty and filling meal.
- Boureki: This is a vegetarian dish made with zucchini, potatoes, and feta cheese. It’s a great option for those looking for something lighter and healthier.
- Kumquat Liqueur: Kumquats are a local fruit that is used to make a sweet and tangy liqueur. It’s perfect for sipping on a rainy day and is often served as an after-dinner drink.
- Ouzo: This is a traditional Greek liquor made with anise. It’s usually served as an aperitif and is a great way to warm up on a rainy day.
- Local Wine: Corfu is known for its wine, and there are many local wineries that offer tastings. Try a glass of the local white wine, Robola, or the red wine, Petrokoritho.
In addition to these traditional options, there are also many restaurants and cafes in Sidari that offer international cuisine, as well as coffee and tea. No matter what your taste preferences are, there’s something for everyone in Sidari.
Spas and Wellness
If you are looking for a relaxing way to spend a rainy day in Sidari, heading to one of the many spas and wellness centres in the area is a great option. Here are some of the top options to consider:
- Aphrodite Spa: This popular spa offers a range of treatments, including massages, facials, and body wraps. The spa also features a sauna, steam room, and indoor pool, making it a great place to spend a few hours on a rainy day.
- Sidari Water Park Hotel Spa: This spa is part of the Sidari Water Park Hotel and offers a range of treatments, including massages, facials, and body wraps. The spa also features a sauna and indoor pool, making it a great place to relax and unwind.
- Corfu Holiday Palace Spa: This spa is located in nearby Corfu Town and offers a range of treatments, including massages, facials, and body wraps. The spa also features a sauna, steam room, and indoor pool, making it a great place to spend a rainy day.
Whether you are looking for a massage, facial, or other spa treatment, there are plenty of options in Sidari and the surrounding area. Be sure to check out reviews and prices before booking to find the best option for your needs and budget.
Sidari offers a variety of shopping options, even when it’s raining outside. From souvenir shops to fashion boutiques, there’s something for everyone.
If you’re looking for a unique souvenir to take home, head to the local markets. The Sidari market is held every Friday and offers a wide range of handmade crafts, local produce, and souvenirs. You can find everything from olive oil soap to handmade jewelry. Don’t forget to haggle for the best price!
For those who love fashion, Sidari has several clothing boutiques that offer the latest trends. You can find everything from beachwear to evening wear. The prices are reasonable, and the quality is excellent.
If you’re looking for something to keep you entertained on a rainy day, why not head to the local bookshop? You can find a wide range of books, from bestsellers to classics. You can also find magazines, newspapers, and stationery.
Lastly, don’t forget to check out the local supermarkets. You can find a wide range of local produce, including olive oil, honey, and wine. You can also find snacks and drinks for a picnic on a rainy day.
Overall, Sidari offers a variety of shopping options, even when it’s raining outside. Whether you’re looking for souvenirs, fashion, books, or local produce, you’re sure to find something that suits your taste and budget.
In conclusion, Sidari may not be the ideal holiday destination when it’s raining, but there are still plenty of things to do that will keep you entertained. From exploring the local shops and markets to visiting museums and galleries, there is something for everyone.
If you’re feeling adventurous, why not try out some of the water sports on offer, such as windsurfing or jet skiing? Alternatively, you could take a day trip to nearby towns and villages to explore the local culture and cuisine.
If you’re looking for something more relaxing, there are plenty of indoor activities to enjoy, such as spa treatments or cooking classes. And of course, there’s always the option of curling up with a good book and enjoying the sound of the rain on the roof.
Whatever your interests, Sidari has something to offer, even on a rainy day. So don’t let the weather put a dampener on your holiday – embrace the rain and make the most of your time in this beautiful part of the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any indoor activities in Sidari?
Yes, there are several indoor activities to enjoy in Sidari on a rainy day. You can visit Sidari Water Park, which has indoor pools and slides. Another option is to go bowling at the Sidari Bowling Centre. Additionally, there is a games arcade with video games and pool tables.
What museums or galleries are there in Sidari?
Unfortunately, there are no museums or galleries in Sidari. However, you can visit the Folklore Museum of Acharavi, which is only a short drive away. The museum showcases traditional Corfiot life and culture.
Are there any local markets or shops to explore?
Yes, there are plenty of local markets and shops to explore in Sidari. The Sidari Market takes place every Friday and is a great place to find souvenirs, clothing, and local produce. There are also several shops selling handmade jewelry and crafts.
What are some good restaurants to try in Sidari on a rainy day?
There are many restaurants in Sidari that are perfect for a rainy day. You can try traditional Greek food at The Three Brothers or indulge in Italian cuisine at La Piazza. Another great option is the Fisherman’s Cabin, which serves fresh seafood.
Are there any spas or wellness centres in Sidari?
Yes, there are several spas and wellness centres in Sidari. The Sidari Beach Hotel has a spa that offers massages and beauty treatments. You can also visit the Sidari Wellness Centre, which offers yoga classes and holistic therapies.
Is there a cinema or theatre in Sidari?
No, there are no cinemas or theatres in Sidari. However, you can watch the latest movies at the Corfu Cinemax, which is only a short drive away in Dassia.
Hailing from the historic city of Thessaloniki, Nikos Tsakiris is a passionate explorer, seasoned writer, and co-founder of Greek Island, the definitive travel blog for the Greek Islands.