Corfu, a beautiful Greek island in the Ionian Sea, offers stunning landscapes and rich historical background. As the weather starts to warm up in April, it’s the perfect time for travelers to experience everything this amazing island has to offer.
April sees a rise in temperatures from the previous month, with average highs reaching around 19°C (66.2°F) and lows of approximately 10°C (50°F) in Corfu Town. Although it isn’t quite beach weather just yet, tourists can still enjoy sunny days and blue skies, as the average humidity is around 72.8%. This period offers a comfortable climate, ideal for exploring the picturesque island and its cultural attractions.
With Easter breaks and mild weather, April is an excellent time for visitors to discover Corfu without the overcrowded beaches and high temperatures common in the summer months. The blend of pleasant temperatures and a range of exciting activities make it an attractive destination for those looking for a relaxing holiday getaway.
April Weather Overview
In April, Corfu experiences mild temperatures with an average of 14.5°C (58°F). Daytime temperatures can reach a high of 19°C (66°F), while nighttime temperatures may drop to a low of 10°C (50°F). The average day temperature is around 16°C (61°F), with a slightly warmer average night temperature of 15.6°C (60°F).
During your visit to Corfu in April, it’s a good idea to pack some lightweight clothing for the daytime and warmer clothes, such as jumpers or light jackets, for the cooler evenings.
April brings about 70 mm of rainfall, spread across an average of 12 rainy days throughout the month. Although the rainfall is not excessive, it’s still recommended to have an umbrella or waterproof clothing with you during your trip.
In April, Corfu enjoys approximately 8 hours of sunshine per day. Visitors can expect a 63% chance of sunlight, with an average humidity of 72%. Although it’s not the sunniest month in Corfu, there is still a fair amount of sunshine for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
When planning activities during your trip, it’s useful to keep these weather trends in mind. While it’s important to be prepared for rain and cooler evenings, there’s still plenty of opportunity to enjoy Corfu’s lovely spring atmosphere with its mild temperatures and sunshine hours.
What to Expect in Corfu in April
April in Corfu brings mild weather, with average daytime temperatures ranging between 11 and 20 degrees Celsius. The average daily high is 19°C, while the average low is 10°C. With 8 hours of sunshine per day, rainfall of 70mm, and a sea temperature of 17°C, there’s plenty to discover in Corfu during this time. This section will dive into beach activities and outdoor exploration options to make the most of your trip.
While April’s sea temperature is slightly cooler at 17°C, it’s still possible to enjoy the beach on sunny days. In the early spring, beaches in Corfu are less crowded, so you can enjoy a peaceful stroll along the shore, sunbathe or participate in beachside activities such as beach volleyball or games. Be sure to pack a light jacket or cardigan for when the sun goes down.
Consider visiting some of the following beaches if you’re planning to swim or sunbathe:
- Paleokastritsa Beach
- Glyfada Beach
- Agios Gordios Beach
The comfortable temperatures in April make it an excellent time for outdoor enthusiasts to explore Corfu’s natural beauty. With an average of 8 hours of sunshine per day and less rainfall than in winter months, visitors can make the most out of their time outdoors. The island provides numerous hiking trails, historical sites, and green landscapes awaiting exploration. Here are a few suggestions for outdoor activities:
- Hiking: Discover the Corfu Trail, a 220 km long walking path traversing the whole island. Enjoy the breathtaking views, picturesque villages, and diverse fauna and flora along the route.
- Visiting Historical Sites: April’s mild weather is perfect for exploring points of interest such as the Old Fortress, Achilleion Palace, and Mon Repos Palace.
- Botanical Gardens: Don’t miss a visit to the Garden of the People, Gardiki Castel, or the beautiful Mon Repos Park, where you can witness the blossoming flowers and lush greenery during this time of year.
In summary, April in Corfu offers visitors the chance to experience the island’s beauty in mild weather conditions, making it an ideal time for beach activities and outdoor exploration.
Packing Tips for April Weather
April is a lovely month to visit Corfu, with mild temperatures and relatively lower tourist crowds. To make sure you’re prepared for the weather, follow our packing tips, focusing on clothing essentials and some additional items.
- Light Layers: With average daily highs around 19°C (66°F) and lows around 10°C (50°F), it’s essential to pack clothes you can layer. Bring a mix of short-sleeve tops and long-sleeve tops, along with light cardigans or jumpers.
- Warm Outerwear: Even though days are mild, nights can get chilly in Corfu during April. Pack a warm jacket or a coat to stay comfortable during the evenings.
- Trousers and Jeans: Wear comfortable trousers or jeans suitable for the mild daytime temperatures. You might also want to pack a pair of lighter trousers for the warmer days.
- Footwear: Bring comfortable footwear suitable for walking and exploring Corfu’s historical sites, such as trainers or supportive sandals. You might also want to pack a pair of closed-toe shoes for cooler evenings.
- Swimwear: The sea temperature in April is 17°C (63°F), which may not be ideal for swimming for everyone. However, if you’re feeling brave or staying at a hotel with a heated pool, consider packing swimwear and a beach towel.
- Umbrella and Rain Gear: Expect about 74mm of rainfall spread over 12 rainy days in April. Pack a compact umbrella and lightweight waterproof jacket or a rain poncho to keep you dry during unexpected showers.
- Sun Protection: Even though it’s not peak sunshine season, it’s still a good idea to pack sun cream with high SPF protection, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
By following these packing tips, you’ll be well-prepared for April weather in Corfu. Enjoy a pleasant stay and remember to take advantage of the island’s mild temperatures to explore its many beautiful sites.
Events and Festivals in April
April is a fantastic time to explore Corfu’s rich culture and traditions. During this month, visitors can enjoy several events and festivals throughout the island, without the bustling crowds of the summer tourist season.
One of the most significant events in April is the Corfu Carnival. This vibrant celebration has its roots in ancient spring festivals honouring Dionysus, the god of wine and fun. The modern carnival is a lively affair, with elaborate costumes, colourful parades, and plenty of merrymaking. Visitors can expect to be swept up in the fun as the whole island comes together to let loose and celebrate.
Another notable event in April is the Greek Orthodox Easter, which often falls in this month. Whilst celebrations take place throughout Greece, Corfu holds some unique customs and events. On Holy Saturday, the traditional “Pot Throwing” takes place, where locals throw earthenware pots from their balconies, signifying renewal and new beginnings. As the pots shatter on the streets below, joyous celebrations of music and dancing break out across the island. This tradition provides tourists with a unique spectacle and an opportunity to immerse themselves in local culture.
In addition to these major events and celebrations, you can also expect to find a range of smaller local festivals and gatherings taking place during April. From traditional music performances to local food fairs, there is always something happening on the island, providing visitors with an authentic Corfu experience.
In summary, April is the perfect time to visit Corfu if you’re looking to explore the island’s rich culture and traditions. With numerous events and festivals taking place, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to immerse yourself in the local customs and enjoy the island’s unique charm without the crowds of the busy tourist season.
Eleni Vasiliadis, a native of the picturesque island of Corfu and co-founder of Greek Island, is a seasoned traveller, accomplished writer, and passionate advocate for Greek culture and cuisine.