Visiting Rhodes, Greece in December offers a unique experience, as it boasts of mild winter weather with pleasant temperatures compared to other parts of Europe. The Mediterranean climate on this popular island destination provides an enjoyable atmosphere for those who prefer a quieter vacation setting, ideal for sightseeing and exploring the island’s rich history.
During December, Rhodes experiences an average high temperature of 16°C with a low of 12°C, making it a relatively comfortable time to wander through the cobblestone paths of the island’s old town. Even though there’s an average of 4 hours of sunshine per day in December, be prepared for occasional rainfall as it is typical during this month with around 141mm of precipitation spread over 13 days. Nonetheless, it’s still an ideal time for travellers who relish in the island’s captivating charm and appreciate the beauty of its ancient sites without the bustling summer crowds.
Despite the cooler sea temperatures in December, the 18°C waters still provide opportunities for bracing dips or coastal walks. Rhodes’ off-peak season creates a tranquil environment for travellers, ensuring an authentic and immersive Greek island experience.
Weather Overview in December
In December, the weather in Rhodes experiences a drop in temperature as compared to the warmer months. The average high temperature during this month is a comfortable 16.3°C (61.3°F)1. Meanwhile, the average low temperature at night is around 11.6°C (52.88°F)2. As the month progresses, the temperature may rise to 16°C on warmer days3.
December is part of Rhodes’ rainy season, leading to an increase in the amount of precipitation. The island sees an average rainfall of around 145.3mm over 12 days1 to 173mm (6.8 inches) throughout the month2. This makes December the month with the highest amount of rainfall1. Hence, if you’re visiting Rhodes during this time, it’s a good idea to carry an umbrella or raincoat.
While wind speed information for Rhodes in December is not explicitly mentioned in the search results, it is generally known that the island experiences relatively mild weather during this time. Keep in mind that the cooler temperatures and rainy conditions might make the winds feel stronger, so it’s advisable to pack some warmer clothes and windproof jackets if you’re planning a trip during this month.
Activities and Attractions
Rhodes, Greece is a stunning destination to visit in December due to its mild climate and fewer crowds. Here are some activities and attractions that you can enjoy during your stay.
The island of Rhodes boasts a rich history, and visiting its historical sites in December is a perfect option with fewer tourists around. You can explore the Old Town of Rhodes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to discover ancient ruins, medieval streets, and impressive castles. The Palace of the Grand Master, the archaeological site of Kamiros, and the Acropolis of Lindos are also must-visit sites during your trip.
Rhodes also offers various indoor entertainment options during the winter season. Here are some recommendations:
- Museums: You can visit the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes to learn about the island’s history through fascinating artefacts. If fine arts and folklore interest you, don’t miss the Museum of Modern Greek Art and the Folklore Museum.
- Cafes and Restaurants: December in Rhodes is a fantastic time to indulge in local cuisine. Enjoy a relaxing break in the numerous cafes and restaurants that serve delectable Greek food and beverages.
- Cinemas and Cultural Centres: Catch a movie at the local cinemas or attend an event at cultural centres to experience Rhodes’ vibrant art scene.
What to Pack
In December, Rhodes experiences mild temperatures compared to the UK winter. The average daily temperature hovers around 16°C, with night time temperatures dropping to around 11°C. When planning a trip to Rhodes in December, preparing the right packing list is essential to ensure a comfortable stay.
Since the weather in December might fluctuate, it’s essential to pack clothing that can be easily layered for adapting to various temperature changes. Here are some clothing items to include in your luggage:
- Lightweight and warm sweaters
- Long sleeve shirts or t-shirts
- A comfortable coat or jacket
- Jeans or trousers
- Socks and undergarments
- A hat and scarf for colder evenings
- Comfortable footwear, such as walking shoes or boots
- A pair of formal or semi-formal attire for dinners or special occasions
Ensure to bring options for layering, as Rhodes might experience occasional rainy days during this time of the year.
In addition to clothing, packing a few essential pieces of gear will make your trip to Rhodes in December more enjoyable. The following recommendations will help you stay prepared for various weather conditions:
- A compact and lightweight umbrella
- A waterproof jacket or raincoat
- A reusable water bottle
- A travel adapter for your electronic devices
- Sunglasses and sunscreen, as the sun can still be strong despite cooler temperatures
- A comfortable and sturdy daypack for daily excursions
By considering these clothing and gear suggestions, you’ll be well-prepared for a delightful trip to Rhodes in December.
Hailing from the historic city of Thessaloniki, Nikos Tsakiris is a passionate explorer, seasoned writer, and co-founder of Greek Island, the definitive travel blog for the Greek Islands.