Beyond Platani and four kilometres to the southeast of Kos Town stands the island's most famous and interesting ancient site, the Asklepion.
Kos' native son Hippocrates is rightly remembered with street names, statues, a medical centre and even a tree but he is most completely celebrated at this ancient sanatorium, founded in 444BC not long after his death and now a major tourist attraction.
It was both a temple to the Asklepios, the god of healing, and a renowned Hellenic medical centre that functioned for about 1,000 years before falling into disrepair.
The setting is magnificent, elevated on hillside terraces that are connected by a monumental marble staircase. It sits above the village of Anatolia on four terraces linked by a marble staircase, with views across the sea to Turkey.
Little of the original centre remains, thanks in a large part to repeated earthquakes and to the use of the site as a quarry by the Crusaders. It was extensively excavated by Germans in 1902 and the Italians re-erected some Corinthian columns dating from the 2nd century. A Doric temple, built some 400 years earlier sits on the highest terrace.
Local guides love to elaborate on the Hippocratic connection but the famous healer's life story is elusive and his links to Kos are very tenuous. He was certainly born here in 460 BC and he also died here in 357 BC.
But he spent most of his life away from Kos, travelling throughout the Aegean and advocating his 'scientific' approach to medicine, gaining fame by halting plagues through the then novel practice of boiling drinking water and isolating the sick.